[K12OSN] DHCP Documentation

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Sep 25 22:17:10 UTC 2007

Huck wrote:
> 20-30 seconds? wiring?
>
> Mel Wade wrote:
>> Yes, I'm getting DHCP.  I've got the whole network running on the dhcp
>> server.  If the thin client the DHCP response seems to be very slow.
>> It takes 20-30 seconds to move beyond the dhcp part of the boot.

Delays in multiples of 30 seconds are often failing DNS lookups.  Are
you handing out 2 dns server addresses where only one works?  Does the
tftp server try to look up the connecting IP address for logging?  If
you are using the standard 2-nic setup these will be in your hosts file
but could cause the delay if use different ranges and don't have them in
the tftp/nfs server's hosts file or have the zone in your DNS server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com