Re: [K12OSN] LTSP - installing VMware player

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

Nils Breunese wrote:
Kevin Mims wrote:

It's FC6. I see all kinds of references to an all-all patch, but I'm
not sure what version of the Player is working the best under Fedora
Core 6.

As you can read in the docs Fedora Core 6 is not a supported host OS
for VMWare. I believe you do need that any-any patch. I know I needed
it when I installed VMWare Server (also free of charge these days) on
Fedora a couple of months ago. See
<http://communities.vmware.com/message/76957> for more information on
the any-any patch.

Just this week, I installed VMware Server on Ubuntu Feisty 64-bit on a
Core 2 Duo box at work.  I'm running Windows XP SP2 as a guest in the
thing (requirement for the CrackBerry), and like Nils, I too needed the
any-any patch.  But it does work, and rather well.

I haven't (yet) tried installing VMware on any Fedora releases, but if I
were going to do that, I'd lean more toward RHEL or CentOS.  That's
because that's what VMware, Inc. is more likely to support as a host
OS. Given my results with Feisty64, I'd guess that RHEL/CentOS probably
would work pretty well with it, too.

RHEL *is* a supported host OS for VMWare, so yes, I hope that that would work out of the box. :o)

Nils Breunese.