Re: [K12OSN] LTSP - installing VMware player

Thanks for the response.  I think I'll download and try K12ltsp-5 and see how that goes.

Peter Scheie <peter scheie homedns org> wrote:
Nils Breunese wrote:
> Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
>
>> Nils Breunese wrote:

>>> As you can read in the docs Fedora Core 6 is not a supported host OS
>>> for VMWare. I believe you do need that any-any patch. I know I needed
>>> it when I installed VMWare Server (also free of charge these days) on
>>> Fedora a couple of months ago. See
>>> for more information on
>>> the any-any patch.
>>
>> Just this week, I installed VMware Server on Ubuntu Feisty 64-bit on a
>> Core 2 Duo box at work. I'm running Windows XP SP2 as a guest in the
>> thing (requirement for the CrackBerry), and like Nils, I too needed the
>> any-any patch. But it does work, and rather well.
>>
>> I haven't (yet) tried installing VMware on any Fedora releases, but if I
>> were going to do that, I'd lean more toward RHEL or CentOS. That's
>> because that's what VMware, Inc. is more likely to support as a host
>> OS. Given my results with Feisty64, I'd guess that RHEL/CentOS probably
>> would work pretty well with it, too.
>
> RHEL *is* a supported host OS for VMWare, so yes, I hope that that would
> work out of the box. :o)
>
> Nils Breunese.

I've got VMWare server running on a CentOS-5/K12LTSP-EL5 installation,
providing a Windows XP session for a customer that has one app
(Quickbooks) that needs to run under Windows. I can't recall if I had
to install the any-any patch or not. But it wasn't too difficult, and I
was able to do most of the installation work remotely.

Peter