Re: [K12OSN] SambaLDAP question

John Ingleby wrote:
We successfully joined the first XP Pro machine to our Samba LDAP
domain, but further machines simply return the error message "The
specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted".

We're using K12LTSP v5.0 for the classroom thin client server, with
CentOS 5 for the backend file & authentication server. With donated
machines and classes of 12-15 this seems the way to go.

The important Windows XP Pro client registry settings are all the same,
so most likely we have somehow varied the procedure for adding machine
accounts. Can anyone point me to a detailed step-by-step howto for
adding machine accounts & joining Windows machines to the SambaLDAP
domain?

The various LDAP-Samba HowTos are great for setting up Samba, and we
appear to have completed those steps successfully. However, I cannot
find a sufficiently detailed explanation of the subsequent steps for

a) setting up machine accounts with SambaLDAP

This should be managed using the smbldap-passwd scripts with a section like this in your smb.conf file

  # use the smbldap-tools scripts
  add user script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
  #delete user script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
  add machine script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
  add group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
  #delete group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
  add user to group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
  delete user from group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
  set primary group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"

b) creating the Samba (or LDAP?) root user & password

smbpasswd -a root

where this is a DIFFERENT password to you linux root password

c) joining XP Pro machines to the domain

Right click on My computer, Properties, Computer Name, Then click on the change button next to the line

To rename the computer or join a domain .....

Hope this help at least get you started :-)

Brian

the views of Portsmouth College