[K12OSN] K12LTSP Server Specs

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Apr 3 07:30:06 UTC 2008

That's been discussed many times on this list, and plenty of folks have
their own opinions.  Here's mine, which assumes your 30 users will be
using a "fat / full-featured" desktop like GNOME or KDE.

- CPU:  At least two 64-bit cores, 2GHz each.  If you can afford a
quad-core CPU, then do so.  Either Intel or AMD is fine.

- DRAM:  Minimum 4GB, preferably 8GB.  DRAM is your best friend when it
comes to LTSP.

- NIC #1:  Gig-E on at least the thin client side.  If your 30 users are
all running TuxType or TuxMath simultaneously, make it two Gig-E NICs
ganged together in a MultiLink config.  Get decent managed switches that
support this if you don't already have them.  If DRAM is your best
friend, then network speed comes immediately after.

- NIC #2:  Since you're doing NFS mounts, then I'd go Gig-E on the
"school LAN" side as well.  Otherwise, 100Mbps is usually fine.

- Video:  Can be ye olde, slow cheap-o.  That said, your clients should
have modern video (Intel is good).

- Go with hardware RAID 1.  SCSI RAID is expensive, but "the bomb" if
you can afford it.  If not, then get a SATA RAID card, not that fake-y
"RAID" junk built into many motherboards (it's software based).  I use
hardware SATA RAID myself.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate