[K12OSN] Cable net connection problem

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Apr 3 15:32:10 UTC 2008

Barry Cisna wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Done a fresh install of K12LTSP/FC6 for an individual for home use for
> their kids to use. They have cable internet for the first time. I was
> there when the tech came and done the hookup at their house. I bought them
> a brand new Motorola 5120 cable modem. Never could get their fresh FC6
> server to do internet,although the ip numbers/dns numbers look correct. I
> can plug an xp laptop into the same new cable modem and internet comes up
> fine. I DID disable the linux iptables for testing BTW.
> I can not ping anything by even IP address? Also strange thing,i never see
> the "activity" light flicker on the cable modem when plugged into the
> K12LTSP server?I talked to the tech at the head office and " we do not
> support Linux":( I never checked to see if this cable co is setup for
> DOCSIS1.1 or DOCSIS2.0 ( which I haven't read a thing about). Of course I
> have done a network restart several times,and simply no webpages ever
> display. As said earlier on the Windows XP laptop it comes up via dhcp
> very quickly.
> I surely don't need to manually make some sort of connection such as ADSL
> client or something?Has anyone ever run into  this scenario?
> Sorry for the long post.

I think cable companies can restrict the MAC addresses that will get a
DHCP address though a cable modem so it the xp box was the first thing
that came up it may be a long time before it will give an address to
anything else.   The quick fix is to use a home NAT router behind the
cable modem.  Most of them have an option where you can set the visible
MAC address on the public side to the one the cablemodem already expects
  - and you can use more than one computer behind it.

Most cablemodems have a web service at 192.168.100.1 (and at least the
surfboard models don't even care that you aren't on that subnet
yourself), but I don't know if there is enough status info there to help.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com