[K12OSN] Dhcp and iMac clients

Jamie Lists jamielist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 04:37:45 UTC 2008

We'd like to do a 1 nic setup for our k12ltsp box and not mess with
any vlan stuff.
We have an existing dhcp server but i'd really rather not have to hard
code each client into the existing dhcp server.

So now that i've told you what i don't want to do.. heres what we want to do ;)

We have a bunch of old iMacs in classrooms. We're planning on
disconnection the power to the hard drives and using them as thin
clients for K12ltsp.

We can set the open firmware on each machine to point which k12ltsp
server to boot from.

So my concern is DHCP. on the ltsp box should i be running a dhcp
server on another port? I've seen that documentation, but i've also
seen people note it only works with etherboot and not PXEboot.. but
where does that leave the macs?

Is their something in OpenFirmware i can configure to get this working?

Thanks,
Jamie