[K12OSN] slow NFS

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 20:10:48 UTC 2008

Peter Hartmann wrote:
> I'm having an nfs problem at least...  On a desktop machine that's
> authenticating to the k12ltsp/smbldap server it takes for ever to log
> in.  Getent passwd takes 14 seconds to return the smbldap users.  Top
> command takes at least 10 seconds to start.

One thing that can really slow down *any* network connection is problems
with DNS. If both hosts involved in a connection can't resolve the IP
address of the other, you get to wait for DNS to fall through *all* the
hosts listed in /etc/resolv.conf. So, make sure that all your hosts are
either in DNS (don't forget the in-addr.arpa zone for inverse lookups)
or that your /etc/hosts files are correct, complete, and up to date on
all interacting hosts on your LAN.

                         - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802      http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W              AST (UTC-4)                         |