[K12OSN] thin client laptops/Asus EEE

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Apr 9 07:51:12 UTC 2008

And let's also add that the 54Mb/sec available with 802.11g is *shared*
among all the wireless devices that associate with that wireless access
point.  Translation:  HUB.  Very bad for LTSP.

If you need to go cheap, go for the MicroClient Jr SX from Norhtec
(http://www.norhtec.com).  They're something like US $85 a pop.  Not
blazing fast video, but it works.  Low power, too, and even mounts on
the back of an LCD monitor.

If you need to go *really* cheap, then get some older Pentium II or III
computers that PXE-boot, and simply pull out the hard drives.  Companies
are *dying* to get rid of these and will happily "unload" them to you.
HP Vectra VL400's are good choices.  Then, gradually replace them with
MicroClients or something similar as time goes on.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!