[K12OSN] Permissions for students and teachers

Chuck Kollars ckollars9 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 19:16:47 UTC 2008

 > ... I'm curious as to how managing ACLs would be
 > any different ...

It seems my experience is in danger of being
completely misunderstood, so please permit me to try
once more to state my point:

I needed --and now have-- a system that requires
_zero_ maintenance of permissions/groups/ACLs after
the system was launched, so it's irrelevant whether
such maintenance would be easy or hard because it's
not done at all.

The way I set up a working system within the
constraint of requiring zero maintenance of
permissions after launch was with Posix ACLs (in fact
I don't know how to do it another way, and I even
suspect that just vanilla *nix permissions are
insufficient for detailed student/teacher file storage
within this constraint).

If you don't have the requirement/constraint of zero
maintenance of permissions after launch, my experience
probably doesn't apply to your situation.

thanks!

-Chuck Kollars