[K12OSN] Any Hope For Sound On Visara e300 eTerm?

Robert Hill thebobhill at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 20:03:50 UTC 2008

Hi,

Any suggestions will be appreciated.  I have some Visara e300 eTerm thin
clients which have an earphone jack or audio out.  I can not get sound to
work under LTSP with these boxes.  Everything else works beautifully.  I can
PXE boot them from Edubuntu 7.10 and Centos K12LTSP 5.0 EL.  The clients
come with WIN CE 4.2 loaded on the 32 meg DOC and sound works when booted
into WIN CE.

A chip on the board is marked AD1881A, which I assume is the sound chip
Analog Devices 1881A or SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio.  LTSP does not
auto recognize any sound device when loading.  I have tried forcing a

snd-ac97-codec
snd-intel8x0
snd-intel8x0m
snd-ad1889

Still, no sound or no /dev/dsp.  Is there any hope of getting sound on these
thin clients?  Any conclusions from those of you much wiser than me will be
greatly appreciated.

Bob Hill