[K12OSN] Diskless thin clients finding predators

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Fri Apr 18 14:50:13 UTC 2008

Hi Alan,

Something to make the " know it alls" aware of, 9 times out of ten, your
internet connection is going to be the bottleneck of doing
multimedia/video stuff long before, your thin clients & or server will be
bogged down.Tell them simply, your LAN has a gig or 100 mb pipe ,,but your
net connection is *only* 1.5mb(T1) hence,the pipe is choked at the
internet level, not the server/thin client spot. Lots of people don't look
at the whole picture of what is wanting to be accomplished in the techie
world. I don't care if you buy all of the latest greatest full blown Pc's
from Michael Dell if you get x number of people parked in a lab watching
full screen United Streaming video stuff it is going to get slow in time.
It's that simple. Unless your school has a T3 or DS3 net connection( which
I would doubt hardly anyone here has), this is going to be the scenario
for any multimedia arrangement.One cluggy work around is to pull whatever
videos are wanting to be seen to your local server then point each student
to the local server. This is pretty unpractical,though.Most videos are
streamed to let Joe Schmoe at home watch them ,not 30 people at one time.
one needs to learn how to "tame down" overkill videos,to be viewed by a
room full of PC's.
 I understand your predeciment of the old die hards wanting to use MS
,"cause everyone else does":(..OK I've gripped enough:)...

Take Care,

Barry Cisna