[K12OSN] headless server

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Tue Apr 22 19:12:54 UTC 2008

> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:53:09 -0600
> From: Jeremy Schubert <jschubert at shaw.ca>
> Subject: [K12OSN] headless server
> To: k12osn at redhat.com
>
> Hello, I am installing the K12LTSP on my home network to test it out before
> I implement in a school.  I've briefly scanned the manual and I'm not too
> familiar with Linux.  I have two questions.
>
> 2.	I am installing without a network connection due to monitor
> constraints.  Then I will connect the box to the network and reboot as a
> headless server (using DHCP for the moment).  Can I then use a Windows Vista
> box to connect to the box once I've determined the IP address handed out by
> my router?

1)  I have no idea about the first question, although my guess is that's
a Fedora complaint, not a k12ltsp one.

2)  From my windows 2K workstation, I have used SSH, Webmin and VNC to
connect with and administer my k12ltsp server on my home network. I also
have a Keyboard, Monitor and Mouse hooked up on it via a KVM switch, you
might consider getting one of those.  The belkin one (IIRC) was pretty
cheap and worked really well.  I've found each method to have it's
advantages under different circumstances, but I've never become the CLI
master.  If you've got a good handle on the CLI, SSH could/should be all
you need.

ck