[K12OSN] Finally need to logon and access homes from windows

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Apr 30 04:23:47 UTC 2008

Jim Christiansen wrote:
> Well, the day has arrived where I need to log on windows (2k or xp
> pro- haven't decided yet) and use my linux home dirs.
>
> The current server is fedora 5 or 6 based k12ltsp.  Will things be
> easier if the server was running the current k12ltsp 5- Centos version??
>
> Is there a current writeup for this?
>
> I wish I didn't have to, but I have Pro/Engineer and want my students
> to experience it.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas and advice.  Jim

Les already mentioned Samba, which would be my first choice as well.
But if you can't, then you might consider trying out the latest KDE 4.0
binaries for MS Windows and use Konqueror to "fish://" to your Linux
homedirs.  While I've not tried it on MS Windows, I do this from Linux
thick client boxes all the time to Linux file servers.  The syntax is
this, in Konqueror:

  fish://servername

IP addresses also work in place of "servername".  To the end user, it
looks like everything's local, just like any other Konqueror window.

--TP