[K12OSN] thin client laptops/Asus EEE

David Whitmer thewhitmers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 16:34:58 UTC 2008

Will,

I've experimented with an Asus Eee PC (4G model) in our K12LTSP environment.

This laptop worked fine using NX Client to connect via its wireless adapter
to a K12LTSP server running freenx.

I have not attempted to boot the Eee PC directly off the server, though I
doubt that would work over a wireless connection anyway.

David

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Will Hatch <whatch at anwsu.org> wrote:

> Our school is at a juncture where we have to decide between upgrading the
> electrical system so it can handle a permanent computer lab, or go with
> laptops of some kind that run off of a cart.  The principle wants to go with
> the laptops because of cost.  I priced out a couple different models of
> Dell, that would run Windows XP, and would coexist with our Windows 2003
> server.  But the cost is still more than we probably want to spend.
>  Wireless is a must.
>
> I set up a k12ltsp network a few years back with good success.  But I used
> desktop hardware and ethernet.  I am wondering how wireless works with
> k12ltsp, and if there is a recommended make/model of inexpensive laptop that
> will do the job.  Has anybody successfully set this up with the Asus EEE?
>  Thanks for any help/suggestions.
>
> -Will
>
> ***********************************
> PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including attachments, is
> for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential
> or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
> copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.
> If you're not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
> by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.
> It is the policy of ANWSU not to discriminate on the basis or race, color,
> national origin, gender, disability, or gender orientation in its
> educational programs or activities, or in its employment policies as
> required by Title IX of the 1972 Educational Amendments, by Section 504 of
> the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964,
> and by Vermont State Law.

David Whitmer
Director of Media & Technology
Calvary Schools of Holland (Michigan)