[K12OSN] thin client laptops/Asus EEE

Will Hatch whatch at anwsu.org
Thu Apr 3 14:27:49 UTC 2008

Thanks for your helpful reply Rob.  I agree with you.  I would prefer the permanent lab.  It is not so much an issue about how much power is used, as it is an issue of power outlets in the room.  It is against building code to have power strips and extension cords strewn all over the room.  We also have the issue of there really not being a room available for technology, that is of adequate size.

>>> Rob Owens <rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com> 04/03/08 9:11 AM >>>
Personally I think getting a decent electrical system is a better
long-term investment than any computers you can buy.  That said, have
you actually added up the power requirements of a lab using thin client
hardware?  I use a few SYM1112 models from Symbio Technologies, and they
only use 6 watts of power.  So 30 of them would use the same electricity
as 2 or 3 light bulbs.  A 17" LCD monitor uses about 33 watts.

You could mount the server in another room, on a different electrical
circuit, if you really don't have enough juice to lab.

-Rob

Will Hatch wrote:
> Our school is at a juncture where we have to decide between upgrading the electrical system so it can handle a permanent computer lab, or go with laptops of some kind that run off of a cart.  The principle wants to go with the laptops because of cost.  I priced out a couple different models of Dell, that would run Windows XP, and would coexist with our Windows 2003 server.  But the cost is still more than we probably want to spend.  Wireless is a must.
>
> I set up a k12ltsp network a few years back with good success.  But I used desktop hardware and ethernet.  I am wondering how wireless works with k12ltsp, and if there is a recommended make/model of inexpensive laptop that will do the job.  Has anybody successfully set this up with the Asus EEE?  Thanks for any help/suggestions.
>
> -Will

> PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you're not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.
> It is the policy of ANWSU not to discriminate on the basis or race, color, national origin, gender, disability, or gender orientation in its educational programs or activities, or in its employment policies as required by Title IX of the 1972 Educational Amendments, by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and by Vermont State Law.

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.