[K12OSN] Cable net connection problem

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Thu Apr 3 14:47:22 UTC 2008

Hello List,

Done a fresh install of K12LTSP/FC6 for an individual for home use for
their kids to use. They have cable internet for the first time. I was
there when the tech came and done the hookup at their house. I bought them
a brand new Motorola 5120 cable modem. Never could get their fresh FC6
server to do internet,although the ip numbers/dns numbers look correct. I
can plug an xp laptop into the same new cable modem and internet comes up
fine. I DID disable the linux iptables for testing BTW.
I can not ping anything by even IP address? Also strange thing,i never see
the "activity" light flicker on the cable modem when plugged into the
K12LTSP server?I talked to the tech at the head office and " we do not
support Linux":( I never checked to see if this cable co is setup for
DOCSIS1.1 or DOCSIS2.0 ( which I haven't read a thing about). Of course I
have done a network restart several times,and simply no webpages ever
display. As said earlier on the Windows XP laptop it comes up via dhcp
very quickly.
I surely don't need to manually make some sort of connection such as ADSL
client or something?Has anyone ever run into  this scenario?
Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

Barry Cisna