[K12OSN] FC6-based K12LTSP--an important note

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Apr 6 00:37:13 UTC 2008

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 4/4/08, Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:
>
>> IIRC, Warren Togami is interested in backporting the LTSP5 packages to
>>  Enterprise Linux v5 once the initial Fedora work is done. Ideally,
>>  someone would maintain this in EPEL [1]. Then a CentOS w/ K12Linux
>>  spin could be made available relatively easily.
>>

> This is good news. :)
>
> However, I don't think EL5 (based on FC6) is a good match for K12linux
> (now being built on FC8-9). I think EL6 would be a much easier fit.

That doesn't help people deploying today.  Remember that RHEL releases
come out every couple of years, so we're looking at at least another
year before RHEL (and thus CentOS) 6 comes out.  That's a *good* thing,
remember, from an actual supportability perspective in the enterprise.
And that includes schools.

Thus, K12LTSP 5.0EL is far and away the better choice than K12LTSP 6.0.

--TP