[K12OSN] Dhcp and iMac clients

Ryan Collins mr.rcollins at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 17:15:48 UTC 2008

Jamie Lists wrote:
> The reason i don't want to do vlans is because we're not doing a lab
> but more of a classroom setup. So a classroom could have 2 old imacs
> running k12ltsp and 2 new eMacs running OSX.
>
> The problem with the vlans is all the macs in that classroom are
> plugged into unmanaged mini switch and then pugged into the port in
> the wall. So i don't think that would work.

Do you only have one port in the classroom?

What I've done in this case is setup the iMacs as a "thick" client,
where I do a base install (of Ubuntu Server 6.06 btw) and then install
only xserver-xorg and xfonts-base. In rc.local I query the ltsp server
and I'm good to go. This route does require the hard drives in your
iMacs though.

--
Ryan Collins - Technology Coordinator - http://www.kentoncityschools.org/
http://ryancollins.org/wp/