[K12OSN] Installing on an emulator

David H. Barr dhbarr at gozelle.com
Thu Apr 10 12:39:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Tim Born <k12osn at deltacfax.com> wrote:

>  Sergio Fedi wrote:
>
> > How does K12LTSP perform on an emulator, like Qemu, or VMWare?

>  I suppose you could run K12LTSP (server) in VMWare if you wanted, but that
> would imply you either had a lot of extra resources on your server you
> wanted to isolate & use for other things or you have a burning desire to
> experiment.  Most folks on this list seem to be working on pretty small
> budgets, so the servers tend to be dedicated boxes, mostly not
> over-engineered.

For the other end (K12LTSP as host OS), I can testify that it works great.
We had a training project that absolutely needed Windows+IE, and
just as absolutely had to happen yesterday.  I set up K12LTSP and 4-5 old
P3's, setup VMWare server on the K12LTSP box, and allowed all the users
to run the VMWare server console.  Windows+IE in the VMs, and
everything was nice and snappy.

-dhbarr.