[K12OSN] No IP Address Once

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sun Apr 13 22:51:50 UTC 2008

Hi Nadav,

Are you using all plug and play switches( non-managed) throughout,your
entire k12ltsp network. If using managed switches I would guess the
spanning tree piece needs to be turned off on all of these managed
switches.
When you run into this at a given time,look as each client boots up( it
will be the first few lines) to see what IP , subnet, dhcp server #'s
are showing,then as it boots farther along make sure you don't see a
different number( shortly before the video configuration starts coming
across) for the dhcp & or nfs server . I wonder if you have  a second
dhcp server in your lan somewere. This happened to me many moons ago,
probably first version of k12ltsp ( when i had no clue what I should be
seeing) and sometimes the clients would boot fine,and the next day they
would do what you are explaining,or they would end up kernel panicing.
Another thing you could take a laptop at peak usage time, and "walk the
halls" to each switch, plug in, and see if the laptop hangs bigtime
trying to get an ip address. This might narrow down/isolate which switch
is the problem area.

Good Luck.

Barry Cisna