[K12OSN] Diskless thin clients finding predators

Alan Hodson ahodson at elp.rr.com
Thu Apr 17 04:40:03 UTC 2008

Greetings

After having almost no 'predators' for number of years, the K12LTSP
servers that I've run in the El Paso ISD (evolved to Centos5 servers and
more recently to Edubuntu servers, all working via diskless thin clients
from powerful servers with 4-8G RAM,) are being challenged and slowly
killed by the Instructional Technology folks (predators) who insist that
every lab must be a multimedia lab, running what amounts to MS based
apps. The heavy flash sites that the district has chosen for training
and tech applications, and the tests mandated by the State are making
the thin client option a hard choice. Our new CTO wants true thin
clients, but some of the MS specific apps can't deliver via Remote
Terminal Services, so now we are looking into "fat" thin clients (!)
with CE embedded, so part of the processing is done by the client,
leaving some room for other services... We've even coined the term
"yahooligan's syndrome"... see how many clients you can run from a
server before nobody goes anywhere.

My brief saga is a call for experiences and solutions the members of the
list have experienced. If there is a way to  run 30 sessions of
Learning.com's EasyTech for instance from one of our servers, I'd love
to know how the system was tweaked/set up. I've suggested small clusters
of PCs and 3/4 thin clients as a possibility, but I don't seem to be
making much progress. The Dark Side looms!

On a related matter, does anybody know if symbio-technologies is still
around? Several emails I've sent have gone unanswered - I hope they are
working on solutions to my problems.
Cheers
Alan Hodson
http://links.episd.org/