[K12OSN] 5.0 EL repos dead/outdated?

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sun Apr 20 01:26:27 UTC 2008

Hello List,

Just posting this as I hope it may help someone else out that is getting
the " Header is not complete" message all the time,when using yum from
terminal to try and pull in updates & or packages. After much wrangling
with my first install of 5EL, I'm still not sure what is a tad wonky
with my server setup. At school i kept getting this error:" Header is
not complete". So,, stupid me I drag the server to home to see if I get
different results, which I did. I could then download packages, but it
seems the repos,were not all pointed to the others. Spent waaaayy too
much time trying to get all of the multimedia stuff installed! After
some manual modifying of the repos,I got all the extras installed.
Possibly the gig nic/(Broadcom),may have bigger chunks trying to
download,than what our school's border firewall, is wanting to allow?
Don't know. The other K12LTSP servers still download yum stuff fine.
Ill paste a nice trace command,that I used to determine that I was not
talking to the yum repo servers:

Q. 5: I get an "[Errno -1] Header is not complete." error from yum -
what the heck is going on?
A. It's probably a proxy somewhere between you and the repository. You
may not think that a proxy is in the way even though it really is.

You can try doing a "trace" with this command:

echo -e "TRACE / HTTP/1.1\nHost: yum-server.example.com\n\n" | nc
yum-server.example.com 80

Which should give you some more information about the network between
you and the repository. Also, be sure to replace yum-server.example.com
with whatever your yum repository server is.

Another diagnosis step is to get the box off of that network (not always
entirely possible, but port forwarding, VPN, or dialup can simulate the
experience) and see if you still have the problem.

The solutions to this problem are:

     1. Get your proxy software/firmware updated so that it properly
        implements HTTP 1.1

     2. Use an FTP repository, where byte ranges are more commonly
        supported by the proxy

     3. Create a local mirror with rsync and then point your yum.conf to
        that local mirror

     4. Don't use yum

        Take Care,

        Barry Cisna