[K12OSN] Linux "Software RAID"

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Thu Aug 7 19:01:03 UTC 2008

Hey Folks,

I hear people extolling the virtues of "software RAID" on the list a
lot.  I'm finally setting up a production server in a school and I have
enough disks to play with to do RAID.  I'm leaning towards RAID 5.
Anyway, when people say "software RAID" do they mean just setting up a
RAID in LVM Manager?  Or is the mdadm command the simpler, more robust,
preferred way to do this?  I never thought about using LVM for this
before, but the last time I was in there I noticed some RAID options.
This is for a Samba/LDAP/home directory server.

Thanks,

ck