[K12OSN] Sugar desktop.

Steven Santos Steven at SimplyCircus.com
Thu Aug 21 14:09:07 UTC 2008

> > > We need to solve the 'Full, turnkey install for use in schools' part
> > > before we are widely accepted in schools.

> > Meaning what, exactly?

> We don't really know yet.  That's why thought I would ask you guys;)

OK...

> Seriously, the question of what can we do to use technology to help kids
> learn is still open.

<snip>

> Our first phase had been to increase the number of platforms that
> support the Sugar desktop.  There are active groups building packages
> for Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu.  Educational SIGS are taking the
> packages and rolling them into Sugar spins and liveCDs.

<snip>

> The second phase is to start developing various Sugar server setups that
> can take advantage of the collaborative element of the desktop.  Then
> make these server setups available to educators for feedback about what
> work and what does not work.

> It seems the the k12ltsp is a good match for developing such a server
> setup.

Let me see if I can help you with this at all...

First, this group has a LOT of experience with tech in education, so I think
this is a good place to go for help.  But this is also a group of very
overworked folks, so we don't have tons of time either.

The first thing I would recommend you do is download and install the Live
USB install, and make sure the Sugar packages with it.  Once we know that
they work (install and run without crashing things), the next thing to do is
ask folks on this list for feedback and suggestions.