[K12OSN] Sugar desktop.

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Aug 21 15:05:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 10:09 -0400, Steven Santos wrote:
<snip>
> First, this group has a LOT of experience with tech in education, so I think
> this is a good place to go for help.  But this is also a group of very
> overworked folks, so we don't have tons of time either.

That is exactly the experience I hope to engage.  From my perspective,
Sugar Labs and OLPC are still pretty heavy on theory and vision.

> The first thing I would recommend you do is download and install the Live
> USB install, and make sure the Sugar packages with it.  Once we know that
> they work (install and run without crashing things), the next thing to do is
> ask folks on this list for feedback and suggestions.

Ok.  We are currently building communities to help package Sugar for Fedora,
Debian, and Ubuntu. We should have stable packages in a couple of weeks.

LiveCD and Sugar spins will take a bit longer.  Each distro has an
education variant, but except for skoleLinux they don't currently have a
lot of momentum.

I'll follow up on this thread when we have packages that 'just work'.

thanks
dfarning