[K12OSN] Sky high load average with FF and CentOS?

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 14:25:48 UTC 2008

All,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Thursday and Friday I had a chance to
stress test the server.  What I did was log into the 32 systems in the
Tech Lab and then I used TeacherTool to automatically launch FF3 on
all the logged in accounts against different sites.  I also launched
quite a few other packages as well.  FF3 (with its plugins) by itself
would drive the load average way up, and also kept the %idle time on
the server near zero.  This made the system very sluggish.  Following
Terrell's instructions, I installed FF2 instead along with all of the
same plug-ins that FF3 had installed.  Launching FF2 the same way also
spiked the load average but the big difference is that after the
initial launch, the load average dropped back down to something very
reasonable, and the %idle stayed at around 30% (or so).  The system
stayed responsive to user input, and didn't appear to be hanging or
sluggish.  I had downgraded the flash plugin to the .48 version
instead of the latest version  for both FF3 and FF2.  Final note: The
systems have enough memory that swap was never used in any of the
testing.

Reports from the Tech Dir said the system had also hung when teachers
looked at pdf files. So, I launched acroread for 8 accounts.  The load
average immediately jumped sky high, and the acroread processes
continuously consumed 70% plus of the cpu each.  %idle went to 0, and
stayed there.  Not sure about exactly what this means except it is
very repeatable. Using acroread (or the nppdf.so plugin) causes
issues.  I looked around to try and locate xpdf in a yum repository to
use instead, but didn't find it.  I'll try and install from downloaded
rpm's instead.  I am seriously thinking about using one of my servers
as an application server and just setting up some of the 'problem'
apps to load from it via a ssh session.  At least that way the LTS
server should stay responsive. I just don't think I can get the
plug-ins to behave the same way so it might not work, especially as I
need sound to work as well.

I am going back into the school today to make sure that all my servers
are now 'identical' at CentOS 5. with the same apps and such.  I need
to add a second ethernet connection for the authentication servers
using 'bond with fail-over' to make sure they stay online.  And I need
to get transparent proxying working since I have a few Windows-based
PC's that have to boot from the thin client network. (either that or
find a way to run a new line through a concrete floor) :)

Again, thanks for all the help.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins