[K12OSN] Fedora 9 Live LTSP Server, Beta 1

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sun Aug 24 22:10:57 UTC 2008

Jay Pfaffman wrote:

> The show-stopper for me is that there is no support for PPC clients.
> Several schools that I'm working with have piles of old iMacs that
> work acceptably as clients & having those machines go from unusable,
> un-upgradable machines that cannot print to a network printer into
> fast clients is pretty compelling.  (OTOH, not compelling enough for
> the last school that I tried it in to keep using them.)
>
> PPC client suport seems important.

I personally have no PPC hardware.  The code contains some untested (and
most assuredly incomplete) support for PPC.  It took John Ellson a very
small amount of work to get x86_64 client installs working and booting.
   Someone else could work on the same for PPC, except they would need a
PPC machine running Fedora 9 to do so.

If the work is put into making PPC ltsp-build-client work, then we could
put the /opt/ltsp/ppc into a tarball.  That should theoretically be made
bootable after copying to a i386/x86_64 LTSP server and running a few
scripts.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com