[K12OSN] How to handle groups with multiple servers

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 02:29:58 UTC 2008

Here's my setup:

thirty clients
two app servers
a file server for /home that also has LDAP/Kerberos login info

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with the LTSP packages, so to use local devices,
students have to be part of the fuse and audio groups. Unfortunately, the
gids of those groups are different on the different servers. Should I put
those two groups in LDAP as posixGroups? If so, what gid should I use, and
what should I do with the local versions of those groups?

If anybody has a HOWTO for this kind of situation, I'd really appreciate a
link.

Todd