[K12OSN] KDM

k12ltsp k12ltsp at hermon.net
Thu Aug 28 20:53:11 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

When we were on FC6, at the Elem. school, we used KDM and configured the
KDMRC file so that terminals located in K-4 classrooms would login
automatically to accounts made for the particular terminals. Since
switching over to CentOS 5, we noticed that editing the KDMRC file
(located at a different location) and turning it on via the
/etc/sysconfig/desktop file only causes an X on the terminals. (It loads
on the server, meaning KDM is in fact installed)

Some comments in the list suggest that XDMCP needs to be turned on. I
looked at the configuration file and it noted that this is on by default.
Nonetheless, I defined this as true, but it doesn't make a difference.

Some possible noteworthy information:

The KDMRC file doesn't exist at /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc , and the xdm folder
didn't exist under /etc/X11 .

I'm not sure if we are missing a package or if the process may have
changed to turn on KDM in LTSP?

Any help would be appreciated!

Alan Owen
Assistant to the Director of Information Services
Hermon Information Services/Hermon School Department
"Using Technology to Empower All Students to Succeed in a Changing World."

Automatic Notice: Emails of a private nature from this account may not be
shared to any third-party. Sharing confidential information from this
account may construe a breach of confidence under state law. All messages
from this account are written and sent from the State of Maine.