[K12OSN] Open Dictionary

We have recently launched the first completely open kids dictionary (http://dictionary.k12opened.com) and are getting the word out to folks who might be interested in using or working on it.

This dictionary is intended for kids, though it can certainly be used for adult learners as well. As words are completed, they will be reviewed for quality and appropriateness and ultimately "frozen" for export into a variety of formats, including text, PDF, ebooks, wikis, web, etc., for use on a variety of devices.

This work is being licensed as a public domain resource that anyone can use for any purpose. We see this as a fundamental building block for many OER projects and hope that it will be used by teachers, students, publishers, hardware manufacturers, VARs, and others. We have just launched a build-your-own-glossary tool (which exports to rtf, pdf, and wikitext; more formats to come.) Over time, we will be adding other new features, such as audio pronunciations, pictures, support for additional languages, and a wide variety of export functions.

This is a mass collaboration project, and we hope that many people around the world will jump in and add a definition or two.

We would love to see you at the dictionary at http://dictionary.k12opened.com and hope that you will also spread the word to others.

Thank you.

Regards,

Karen Fasimpaur