[K12OSN] Linux "Software RAID"

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Aug 8 05:37:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 00:47 -0400, Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
> Andrew @ ATM Logic wrote:
> >
> >> He wants RAID 5, not RAID 1.  That calls for hardware RAID.
> >>

> > NO, Linux (and Windows) support software raid 5....  However... They are
> > BOTH stupid, and DO NOT WORK WELL and leave you to hang and
> > dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> -
Bear in mind: a two drive failure in RAID5 is very very bad. In many
cases, recovery is from backups only. If the system is built with
sequential serial numbered drives and a manufacturing defect is in one,
it very well may spread to others in the array before the array can be
rebuilt with the new drive in place. Been there, cursed about it. It
doesn't matter if its hardware or software raid if 2 drives fail.

Mirrors are easy and reliable. I've seen too many places that actually
think RAID5 removes the need for backups!

I have had good success with RAID5 recovery using tools from :
http://www.runtime.org/
Very affordable and they worked well for me multiple times. They can
even be embedded in a Barts PE disk setup to make a live Windows CD with
recovery tools.

Not that anyone _here_ would need a windows recovery tool...
:-)

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC