[K12OSN] Linux "Software RAID"

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Fri Aug 8 11:37:13 UTC 2008

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
> Rob Owens wrote:

>>> "Software RAID" is simply doing the RAID (striping, mirroring,
>>> parity, whatever) in the OS instead of on a dedicated card.  Windows
>>> NT, from at least v3.50 (way back when), can do this, and Linux can
>>> do it as well.
>>>
>>> If you're thinking of RAID 5, which is my preferred level, I'd avoid
>>> doing it in software and instead opt for a dedicated RAID card.
>>> Something like an LSI MegaRAID 150-6 SATA controller.  If you do it
>>> in software, you'll eat up some CPU doing the parity calculations, so
>>> you definitely want to offload that.  However, for just mirroring
>>> (say, RAID 1), you should be fine, because the CPU hit for mirroring
>>> is minimal.
>>>

>> I hear lots of people talk about the CPU hit of software RAID.  But
>> how much hit is there really?  Suppose for argument's sake I can get a
>> hardware RAID card for $100.  If I instead used software RAID and
>> spent my $100 on a better CPU, wouldn't I be ahead of the game?
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> No, I don't believe so.  For one thing, as Dan Young put it, it's much
> easier to deal with swapping a failed disk out with a dedicated card.
> That by itself is a *BIG DEAL*.  Additionally, if you do have a disk
> fail, your CPU will take an especially big hit, because then it's got to
> reconstruct data from the parity info for *all* disk accesses, not just
> writes.  Oops....

I realize the ease-of-use advantage of hardware RAID, but I really was
talking about the performance hit only.

Realistically, a hardware RAID costs about $300, and that could buy me a
2nd 4-core processor.  I have to believe that a modern 4-core processor
is way more capable of handling a RAID rebuild than whatever chip is
onboard a hardware RAID controller.  Of course, I haven't done any
testing...

Even though we've debated software vs. hardware RAID on this list many
times, these discussions always hold my interest.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.