[K12OSN] Re: Fedora 9 Live LTSP Server, Beta 1

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 07:33:11 UTC 2008

2008/8/21 Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com>:
> Healy, Patrick wrote:
>>
>> Barely acceptable on ebox 2300
>> SiS 200 MHz, 64 MB Ram plus 64 MB for onboard graphics
>> Sound OK (but visualization needed to be off to play music in Totem)
>> 3'20" boot time
>> 1'10" login time
>
> I have one of these.  I can agree that performance is barely acceptable.
>  This is a pretty terrible machine.  I did get boot down to 42 seconds late
> last year when the Fedora client chroot had a lot less stuff (most features
> including sound, local devices were broken) and with NBD boot instead of
> NFS.  I hear from LTSP 4.2 users that performance was a lot better with the
> ancient kernel and X of that client chroot.  I don't know exactly what was
> different back then or if it would be possible to "fix" anything in modern
> software to reclaim some performance.

I have not tried this out but are you working with IceWm or full Gnome desktop?

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar

PS: I know most of people do not follow email niceties (mostly they
are not aware) but if you follow bottom post/in-line post style of
email conversations it becomes a whole lot easier to carry on
meaningful dialogue and you can snip out what is not meaningful too.
Most people just hit reply button and top post leaving prior message
appended uselessly at bottom. See if you can adopt this style and
persuade others. In case you are already doing this ..... great,
spread the message.