[K12OSN] RE: Fedora 9 Live LTSP Server, Beta 1

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Aug 22 04:36:34 UTC 2008

Warren Togami wrote:
> Healy, Patrick wrote:
>>
>> Warren Togami wrote:
>> I'm 90% to making NBD boot a standard option (but not default) of
>> Fedora LTSP5. It should be an option in the next LTSP update that
>> should be in the Live Beta 2.
>>
>> I thought I was using NBD boot on this beta.  Was it NFS?  And what of
>> the ssh login, or was that just under Ubuntu?
>>

> The beta uses NFS.  Future Fedora LTSP5 will use NFS by default as well.
>  NBD will be an option if you want faster boot.
>
> Fedora LTSP5 and anything that uses LDM does logins via ssh.  Fedora is
>  different from the others though that we default to LDM_DIRECTX=yes
> which means X goes unencrypted over the network after the initial
> username and password which is encrypted.

Now I'm 99% to NBD root.  All the code except a script to generate the
NBD images is written and pushed to ltsp-trunk upstream.  I sent another
revision of necessary mkinitrd changes to pjones for code review.  Once
both pieces are set, I will release ltsp-5.1.20 which supports NBD root
boot.  I could use some help to write docs at that point.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com