[K12OSN] Fedora 9 Live LTSP Server, Beta 1

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 04:04:05 UTC 2008

Jay Pfaffman wrote:
> I think it works (the only client I have to test with seems to have an
> unsupported network card), though it wasn't smart enough to save my
> Ubuntu boot info, but I suppose I should have known better.

What do you mean by "save my Ubuntu boot info"?

> The instructions for configuring the network work, though for some of
> our target audience
>
>       " As root, edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX. "
>
> won't mean anything.  I was also unclear why it was preferable to
> create a new device rather than just disable the old one.

An old one actually existed prior to adding it in system-config-network?
  I checked earlier when I wrote that README and it didn't seem to exist
yet (there were no ifcfg-ethX files).

In any case what we really need is a simple GUI chooser that allows
picking an interface to attach to the ltspbr0 bridge.  I talked with Red
Hat's DHCP maintainer, and he gave some suggestions of how to write a
DHCP detector so the chooser could refuse to attach to an interface if
it detected a DHCP server already on that network.  Unfortunately the
work required to write all this may be too much for me.  I am very slow
at writiting GUI interfaces and I've never programmed for low-level
network protocols before.

Even without a GUI chooser, isn't all these steps significantly easier
than all other LTSP distributions?   You cannot escape the difficult and
potentially *dangerous* step of network setup.  At least with Fedora
Live that is the ONLY step.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com