Re: [K12OSN] Fedora 9 Live LTSP Server, Beta 1

Jay Pfaffman wrote:
I think it works (the only client I have to test with seems to have an
unsupported network card), though it wasn't smart enough to save my
Ubuntu boot info, but I suppose I should have known better.

What do you mean by "save my Ubuntu boot info"?

The instructions for configuring the network work, though for some of
our target audience

      " As root, edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX. "

won't mean anything.  I was also unclear why it was preferable to
create a new device rather than just disable the old one.

An old one actually existed prior to adding it in system-config-network? I checked earlier when I wrote that README and it didn't seem to exist yet (there were no ifcfg-ethX files).

In any case what we really need is a simple GUI chooser that allows picking an interface to attach to the ltspbr0 bridge. I talked with Red Hat's DHCP maintainer, and he gave some suggestions of how to write a DHCP detector so the chooser could refuse to attach to an interface if it detected a DHCP server already on that network. Unfortunately the work required to write all this may be too much for me. I am very slow at writiting GUI interfaces and I've never programmed for low-level network protocols before.

Even without a GUI chooser, isn't all these steps significantly easier than all other LTSP distributions? You cannot escape the difficult and potentially *dangerous* step of network setup. At least with Fedora Live that is the ONLY step.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com