[K12OSN] Sky high load average with FF and CentOS?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 02:07:41 UTC 2008

Christian Einfeldt wrote:

> "No, a reboot won't fix it. It's probably the local web server that's
> serving up the automatic proxy config, the proxy server or the DNS
> server. One or more of them are getting overwhelmed by 31 simultaneous
> connection attempts.
>
> "We can bump the number of threads on the proxy server so that it can
> handle more concurrent requests. We can set the Firefox proxy settings
> in the local config files so that Firefox doesn't need to hit the web
> server when they start. And we can install local DNS caches on each
> machine so that the DNS server load is lightened a bit."
>
> Maybe this will help someone else here?

None of that sounds likely to be a bottleneck to me.  31 is not a large
number for typical DNS/web/proxy servers to handle concurrently.  If
these aren't thin LTSP clients, does each have its own local copy of the
executable?  If not, is it being loaded via NFS over a link they all share?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com