[K12OSN] Sky high load average with FF and CentOS?

Nadav Kavalerchik nadavkav at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 06:57:22 UTC 2008

something is wrong with your server's setup.

we have 60-70 terminals - PIII 233GHz + 64MB RAM  almost simultaneously
lunch FF3 and we have a Squid proxy (for the entire school, not just for the
linux terminals) on the ltsp server + some web applications (mediawiki,
moodle, drupal) running on the server + Samba file shares for 150 Machines
(at least).

it is an old fc6 + ltsp 4.2 on quad core 1.8GHz + 4GB RAM.

we point FF to use the server's proxy.

i have noticed, on some computer labs (in other schools), that firefox takes
it's time
when it can not find a proxy (even when it is set to automatic detect proxy)
i filed a bug report about it. (a while ago, when it was in beta) and i
remember it was fixed.

now,
we also use konqueror and opera because we are using KDE desktops and it is
much faster to response when users click it.
(and opera is extremely fast surfing the web !)
unfortunately, we have severe issues with hebrew content web sites that are
not
coded according to standards which forces us to use FF + grease-monky
extension + many fixes we write on own to make these sites accessible.
(Opera supports grease monky code but Konqueror do not)