[K12OSN] Tuning LTSP Performance

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 01:45:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/8/29 Terrell Prude' Jr. <microman at cmosnetworks.com>:
> > 2.)  If you're running LTSP of any sort, it's assumed that you're
> running,
> > at a minimum, a switched 10/100 environment (if not, then you really
> should
> > be!).  Unless A.) it's a managed switch capable of port mirroring, and
> B.)
> > you control said switch, you can sniff *your* traffic, but not other
> > peoples.  To keep the Les Mikesells of the world happy, I'll point out
> that
> > yes, you could sniff the server if it's physically accessible.  But in
> God's
> > name, I hope you have it secured physically so's to (largely) prevent
> that!
>
> Please enlighten me Terrell. I don't understand how having access to
> the server is a vulnerability in terms of sniffing packets. One must
> have root access to be able to use a program like tcpdump or wireshark
> to capture packets. So if they don't have root how can they sniff?

Oooh, oooh...One of my students just told me this one. At least on Ubuntu
(and I'd guess on other Linuxes), you can start the server in safe mode in
case you broke something. If you do that, you get this lovely command-line
interface with root access.

Since he showed me that, I've been much more careful about keeping the
server closet locked.

Todd