Re: [K12OSN] Tuning LTSP Performance

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
2008/8/29 Terrell Prude' Jr. <microman cmosnetworks com>:
> 2.)  If you're running LTSP of any sort, it's assumed that you're running,
> at a minimum, a switched 10/100 environment (if not, then you really should
> be!).  Unless A.) it's a managed switch capable of port mirroring, and B.)
> you control said switch, you can sniff *your* traffic, but not other
> peoples.  To keep the Les Mikesells of the world happy, I'll point out that
> yes, you could sniff the server if it's physically accessible.  But in God's
> name, I hope you have it secured physically so's to (largely) prevent that!

Please enlighten me Terrell. I don't understand how having access to
the server is a vulnerability in terms of sniffing packets. One must
have root access to be able to use a program like tcpdump or wireshark
to capture packets. So if they don't have root how can they sniff?

Oooh, oooh...One of my students just told me this one. At least on Ubuntu (and I'd guess on other Linuxes), you can start the server in safe mode in case you broke something. If you do that, you get this lovely command-line interface with root access.

Since he showed me that, I've been much more careful about keeping the server closet locked.

Todd