[K12OSN] OT: Forkbomb

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Dec 4 06:53:34 UTC 2008

Travis Smith wrote:
> We were messing around with fork bombs in my computer security class
> night and found out that we could prevent run away processes in Linux
> with modifying the limits.conf file but didn't see any prevention
> techniques for Windows. Today I was looking the registry on a Windows
> box and seen a dword USERProcessHandleQuota. Would this be the
> registry setting to preventing say a user from running a fork bomb on
> a W2k3 terminal server and crippling it?
>
> Sorry for a Microsoft question but I am not on any M$ listservs and I
> thought it was pretty interesting but scary at the same
> time(forkbombing).
>
> Travis

The answer is, forget the registry settings on MS Windows and go for a
real OS (GNU/Linux is an excellent choice).  If you really wanna play
with MS Windows, then the Resource Kit traditionally has had info re:
registry keys.

But seriously--when you have something like GNU/Linux, why the hell
waste your time with MS Windows??

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate