[K12OSN] OT: Google Apps

Garrett Novotny GNovotny at mcpasd.k12.wi.us
Thu Dec 4 15:14:34 UTC 2008

Dave,

I implemented Google Apps Spreadsheet to use for scheduling in a service department at an auto dealership over the summer.  They use all PCs with XP at the dealership, so I never tested it with Linux.  However, I found that Google Chrome worked a lot better than other browsers (IE and firefox) for Google Apps.  I haven't heard a time frame on Chrome for Linux.

-Garrett

--
Garrett Novotny
Technician - Technology Services
[email]  gnovotny at mcpasd.k12.wi.us
[http] www.mcpasd.k12.wi.us
[voice]   608.829.9036 - Help Desk

>>> "David Hopkins" <dahopkins429 at gmail.com> 12/04/08 8:09 AM >>>
A lot of teachers at our school have discovered Google Apps and are
pushing it as a replacement for StarOffice because it is web-based,
allows students to submit documents easier and a whole host of other
benefits.  However, what has also been observed is that the servers
get very very sluggish once an entire class of students sign in.  The
suspicion is that this is due to Google Apps and Flash?

Does anyone have experience with Google Apps in their environement?
Pro's and Con's of using it vs StarOffice?  How does it run in
alternative browsers (e.g. Opera, Konqueror, Nautilus)?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Newark Charter School
Newark, Delaware