[K12OSN] OT: Google Apps

Gerald Drouillard gerrylist at drouillard.ca
Thu Dec 4 18:26:31 UTC 2008

On 12/4/2008 9:09 AM, David Hopkins wrote:
> A lot of teachers at our school have discovered Google Apps and are
> pushing it as a replacement for StarOffice because it is web-based,
> allows students to submit documents easier and a whole host of other
> benefits.  However, what has also been observed is that the servers
> get very very sluggish once an entire class of students sign in.  The
> suspicion is that this is due to Google Apps and Flash?
I don't believe there is any flash.  A lot of ajax though.  Your bottle
neck could be your internet connection/firewall?

We have 4 schools using Google Apps and LTSP.  Some really like the
Google option, some stick with OO on their thin clients.

> Does anyone have experience with Google Apps in their environement?
> Pro's and Con's of using it vs StarOffice?  How does it run in
> alternative browsers (e.g. Opera, Konqueror, Nautilus)?

I personally have used it with IE 7, FF 3, and Chrome.  It seems to work
just fine in each of them.

There are many advantages to switching a school over to Google's free
services for education:

http://www.drouillard.biz/technology_solutions/education/Google_Apps.htm

--
Regards