[K12OSN] alpha-numeric sorting in nautilus

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Dec 5 08:37:02 UTC 2008

Rob Owens wrote:
> I'm trying to use Nautilus to find drawings by their filename in a large
> directory.  For some reason they don't come out in proper order.  For
> instance, this is how Nautilus sorts these files by name:
>
> 002-009-001--revH.pdf
> 03950T2-S749--revG.pdf
> 006037S.pdf
>
> (note that these are all zeros, and not "oh's")
>
> I've tried a few file managers (both Linux and Windows) and they all
> sort the files in this order.  Konqueror is the only exception.  It
> sorts properly -- the same way that 'ls' sorts.
>
> I'd like for my users to be able to use Nautilus.  Is there a way to
> correct it's screwed-up alphabetizing?
>
> -Rob

Well, just the obvious question:  anything particular you don't like
about Konqueror?  Sounds like it's doing the job for you....

A little Googling shows that you're hardly the only one running into
this.  The Ubuntu forms have several entries on just this (admittedly
annoying) "intelligence" in Nautilus.  Apparently it has something to do
with the user's locale setting.  I'd start here:

and then, if you think it's worth it, continue with this:

   http://www.linux.com/articles/53781

--TP