[K12OSN] OT: Google Apps

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 16:51:48 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Will Hatch <whatch at anwsu.org> wrote:
> Since google docs is not encrypted, isn't if a violation of FERPA?  I'd like to use it, but our tech director tells me that it is not secure, and since student names/information could be part of the documents, that it can't be used.  I would like to hear Google's feelings on this, since they seem to be interested in education.

I raised this question with the school as well.  Not a firm legal
opinion, but opinion was that for the students it might be ok provided
it isn't required to use google docs. And as for the teachers, they
are encouraged to not use google docs for any official business at all
because of concerns about privacy and proprietary information.