[K12OSN] OT: Google Apps

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 17:02:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Will Hatch <whatch at anwsu.org> wrote:
>> Since google docs is not encrypted, isn't if a violation of FERPA?  I'd like to use it, but our tech director tells me that it is not secure, and since student names/information could be part of the documents, that it can't be used.  I would like to hear Google's feelings on this, since they seem to be interested in education.
>
> It is encrypted automatically for all users when the Google Apps
> administrator ticks a box forcing SSL on:
> http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=100181
>
> --

A quick google leads to
http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=60762
where one answer says that any administrator (implied Google
administrator?) can access any account per their terms of service.
Encryption or not, this could be an issue (especially if foreign
nationals have access to US citizens/students data and vice-versa?)

It is convenient, and useful but it is not what I would call secure
given the terms of service that google requires you to agree to.

Just my (uninformed) two cents.

Dave Hopkins