[K12OSN] OT: Google Apps

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Dec 6 19:31:34 UTC 2008

Start a practice of killing firefox daily. If need be, kill it by
classroom at lunch time as well. Many students I've seen will minimize
one and open another. And they all have 25 tabs open running flash on
everything. As the Internet access gets incorporated into daily
classroom processes, usage will climb. Sadly, most "educational" sites
are flash heavy.

Look at ulimits and start putting real, hard cpu time limits in place.
This is a shared system and some people aren't playing nice.

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 14:01 -0500, David Hopkins wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:45 PM, R. Scott Belford <scott at hosef.org> wrote:
> > You might want to run the browsers in HTML mode.  This will speed up
> > the experience in a thin-client lab.
>
> I'll have to try this.  We just hit a load average of 52 with 30
> students logged in and running FF2 and Google Apps.  I have no idea
> why the load average has spiked.  Last year was fine, this year with
> CentOS and the latest flash, it spikes (I have a separate submission
> for this from earlier in the year).  FF3 is even worse based on
> experience here at NCS.  There isn't any swap being used at all, but
> system is pegged.

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC