[K12OSN] PowerPC iMacs as LTSP thin clients

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Dec 17 06:36:30 UTC 2008

>> EL5 ppc is well supported, but far fewer people use it as a desktop thus it
>> is not likely to be a better platform for PPC clients.  Fedora's kernel
>> and/or yaboot needs fixes for netboot apparently.
>>

> You might want to look at the EL5-based K12LTSP distribution since it
> embodies a lot of the work required to boot PPC clients from the quite
> capable and proven K12LTSPel5.

I've done it with both EL4 and EL5.  Matter of fact, I've had x86, PPC,
and even UltraSPARC boxes running as thin clients...from the same
K12LTSP server...simultaneously.  :-)

Basically, I had to build a custom /etc/dhcpd.conf for it and copy
/opt/ltsp/ppc and /opt/ltsp/sparc over.  That, and make an /etc/hosts
file that would accommodate it.  But it really was not very hard.

--TP