[K12OSN] OT - Question about Freenx

Patrick Fleming k12ltsp at rwcinc.net
Sat Dec 20 16:24:17 UTC 2008

Comments inline:

> Hello,
>
> I ran the command:
>
> $ ssh -w -i /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key 127.0.0.1
>
> And I got:
>
> Bad tun device '-i'
>
> Help!
>
> Thank you.

That is two letter "V"s as in verbose, more verbose. I find that to be
helpful when debugging ssh connections. For instance, more verbose will
even tell you if permissions are incorrect on your id file.

Barry R Cisna wrote:
> Joseph,
>
> After I posted last I seen in your original post.(I obviously didn't
> have enough coffee at this point):-) "sshd listening on port 777". Have
> you changed sshd from the default of port 22 to 777?
> If so you have to make changes to your /etc/nxserver/node.conf file to
> reflect this at,SSHD_PORT=###. (there is an node.conf.sample file
> at /etc/nxserver). If you have changed your sshd.conf file to port
> 777,why don't you switch back temporarily to the default port 22,
> restart sshd 'service sshd restart' and try and connect with nx and see
> if you get a successful login now.  If you are successful this way then
> start modding your sshd.conf and your node.conf files.

Barry, I think this is connecting properly as the first email contained:
> NX> 200 Connected to address: 127.0.0.1 on port: 777
> NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
> Welcome to the Church Server
>
> NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
> NX> 204 Authentication failed.

I took this last section to mean that the machines are talking, but that
the public key is not being exchanged.