Re: [K12OSN] Booting Acer One from SD card?

Right, the lack of a protruberance that a USB stick would have is what makes the idea of using the SD card so appealing. If it will work. Looking forward to your results.

Peter

Rob Owens wrote:
I'm not sure if they'll boot from the SD card or not.  I've booted mine
from USB before, but SD would be nice since it doesn't stick out.  I
might be able to test it out in the next few days.  I'll report back.

-Rob

Peter Scheie wrote:
The discussion of Brian's 45 Acer Ones jives with something I've been
thinking about. I want to get an A1, but I'll need a few months to save
up for it.  In the meantime, I'll have to live vicariously through you,
Brian. ;-)

On #ltsp, someone mentioned using netbooks as 'wireless pseudo thin
clients' (my term).  They had installed just enough of linux to get NX
running and then pointed that at the LTSP server.  This has been
discussed before, sometimes described as a 'chubby client'.  It gives
you the advantage of having all the apps in one place (the server) but
also the advantage of wireless.  The person on #ltsp said that the use
of NX kept the wireless bandwidth consumption low enought to support a
whole classroom with one WAP, and was, if I recall correctly, under 100K
per user.

The downside of this arrangement is that you have to install an OS, a
specialized one at that, onto each A1, which means that scaling up is
more more difficult from a management standpoint.  Predictablility is
paramount for most teachers, and having the OS on the client not boot
because someone messed with it can ruin a computer system's reputation. My latest idea is to put the OS onto an SD card and boot the A1 from
that.  1GB SD cards are cheap, about $5, maybe less if you bought a
large quantity.  You could burn a bunch of these including extras, give
the extras to the teacher(s), so that if, when the kids grab the A1s for
whatever project, one says "This one's not booting", the teacher can
just pop in a new SD card.  This does have the problem of kids taking
the SD card, but it's easier to deal with than needing to have the A1 in
your possession to actually getting it working which would be the case
if the internal storage were used.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Peter

incomplete, or contain viruses.