Re: [K12OSN] OT: Google Apps

On 12/4/2008 9:09 AM, David Hopkins wrote:
A lot of teachers at our school have discovered Google Apps and are
pushing it as a replacement for StarOffice because it is web-based,
allows students to submit documents easier and a whole host of other
benefits.  However, what has also been observed is that the servers
get very very sluggish once an entire class of students sign in.  The
suspicion is that this is due to Google Apps and Flash?
I don't believe there is any flash. A lot of ajax though. Your bottle neck could be your internet connection/firewall?

We have 4 schools using Google Apps and LTSP. Some really like the Google option, some stick with OO on their thin clients.

Does anyone have experience with Google Apps in their environement?
Pro's and Con's of using it vs StarOffice?  How does it run in
alternative browsers (e.g. Opera, Konqueror, Nautilus)?

I personally have used it with IE 7, FF 3, and Chrome. It seems to work just fine in each of them.

There are many advantages to switching a school over to Google's free services for education:

http://www.drouillard.biz/technology_solutions/education/Google_Apps.htm

--
Regards